View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 04:25 PM
kishmu

Ok, I have lost all hope of getting back access to my account. Reason is I am unable to provide the secret answer that matched whats in their system. I tried all possibilities, but thats not helping.

Here is my story:
I lost my password through a phishing scam. The phishing URL was sent from my Yahoo buddy in messenger. And what more, the URL is a Yahoo geocities link!
I contacted Yahoo security because their password recovery page is useless without a correct zip, which obviously is changed by the hacker. They did contact me, but their replies had lot of pre-written stuff, which I really dont care to read. Now my secret answer doesn't match. I wonder if even that was changed! So I have lost access to emails. What I fail to understand is why the alternate email address wasn't used as an authentication level. It is *very* easy for the hacker to change critical information about u (that which is required in password retreival) and disable you permanently from accessing your own account!! What more, the hacking community has used Yahoo's own Geocities to their advantage and faked their own login screen!
I strongly feel Yahoo must be liable for what they have done to their users. Loss of sleep and peace. I have registered a complaint with FTC. I urge that everyone who has suffered to the same against Yahoo's questionable practice.

If you have Gmail account, start using that instead. Try "forgetting" something and go through their password recovery. See how well they have thought on using alternate email address.