View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 03:34 PM
MadocOwain

Thumbs up Got my account back too

Since this forum was helpful in my getting phone numbers for Yahoo!, I thought I would post my experience here.

I received an email from Yahoo! stating I had violated their terms of service. The email wasn't specific about how or where I had done so, and suggested I may not have updated my profile recently. The email contained a link to a site called cc.yahoo-inc.com . I attempted to follow the link (Mozilla, so I don't fear malware) and due to a DNS issue (unknown at the time) the site did not resolve. I concluded this was a phishing expedition, and deleted the email.

2 days later, my Yahoo! account gets pulled. ALL of it. Fantasy Football, email, personals, the works. I emailed Customer Support a couple of times, then tried them on the phone. I couldn't find a good option in the voice menu tree so I decided to talk to their Personals staff (I was a paying member of that service). They were unable to do anything more than stop me from being further billed for the service. This was a Friday night.

The following Monday, I had received 0 response to my requests for information about HOW I had violated TOS - my email password change requests had begun to say my account had been pulled, and the Personals folks had said it was a Terms of Service violation, unknown what kind.

So, I started dialing again. 2 hours and 5-6 transfers later, I had it figured out. Back in 2000/2001 I had a GeoCities page set up to forward to my new domain - didn't want to lose any loyal readers, you know. Apparently, sometime in the last 5 years Yahoo! and GeoCities decided this would become a Terms of Service violation, and instead of just pulling the GeoCities page, they nuked the entire account. 3 emails to GeoCities customer support later, I had 3 bounce errors in my Inbox - invalid addresses! Nice, huh?

Well, a couple days later I finally got my service restored. They reactivated my account, leaving the GeoCities pages alone. I went in and nuked them as fast as I could and so far, my Yahoo! account is still there. I don't know if it was the phone calls, or the 2-3 emails per day I was sending them, as I never received a written explanation of what happened.

So, it IS possible to get your account back, but let persistence be your watchword.

M.O.
[url]http://www.madocowain.com[/url]
[url]http://www.playmaille.com[/url]